Friday 1 March 2013

Summits, ridges, rock, snow, sun and more sun in Glencoe.





I was back out with The Degree Students from the UHI ATM course today. I was working alongside Max Hunter in Glencoe. We headed up the NE East ridge of Stob Coire nan Lochan 1115m and descended Broad Gully. The aim was to concentrate on group management on steep broken ground, practice descending steep snow and continue looking at the wider picture of navigation. The sun shone all day yet the snow pack remained really bullet hard. A few folk were out climbing on Twisting Gully, SC Gully and Dorsal Arete. I now have this weekend off. After 11,000 m of ascent in eleven days my knees are asking for a brief rest. It has been one of the best periods of weather and conditions I can remember in 24 years of working in the mountains.