Friday 8 March 2013

Snow Holing on Creag Meagaidh.







Over the last two days I have been out on expedition with the ATM third year degree students form UHI, School of Adventure Studies snow holing on Creag Meagaidh. I was working with three other instructors, Scott, Gillian, Julie and 16 students. Conditions it is fare to say were full on winter conditions. The imposing cliffs of Meagaidh still have ice on many of the classic lines and last nights freeze certainly will have improved things no end. We saw two parties climbing Stag Horn Direct today and a couple walking in very late!  We found some great snow holes to use last night and after some re shaping, extending and patching we had great little homes for the long night. A cold breezy night followed and we woke early to a near white out. It was the first experience of snow holing for all the students. I guess they were lucky as the rain stopped early on the first day and the colder conditions contributed to a stable snow pack. It didn't help that I split my pan of hot water all over my sleeping bag and ended up sleeping in cold puddle all night! Such is life....great fun, great work  and a great bunch of students.