Sunday 10 February 2013

Possible new winter route whilst out fell running today.

I unexpectedly found myself with four hours to get out and explore this morning. So I headed back to Coire Buidhe above Loch Creran. I had spotted an obvious ramp / gully line on Creag na Cathaig grid ref 039436 at approx 630 m whilst out running over Creach Bheinn 810m last week with Mikey Clifford.



The obvious line of my ascent can be seen running left to right.


The Dash in!

The line runs left to right across the face of this steep, heather and turfy crag. The crag faces NW and has been catching new snow blown in on the fresh easterly winds over the last few days. Old snow patches were found in the gully and on the more open ramp sections broken ground where the turf was just chewy. Fun, easy climbing was found throughout. This was pleasing because I was trying out the classic winter mountaineering  combination of fell shoe and very flexible crampons and one 40 cm ice axe! I am not sure if any climbing has ever been recorded on this out of the way crag? Those with knowledge have been informed and asked. It has a few short much harder steeper routes to be adventured on and another more technical fault line to be followed above the ramp I dashed up today. If it is a new line then I will call it 'The Dash', Grade I. 150 m.   I only got two photos as the battery died on me, teach me not to charge it up. The wind strength was certainly stronger than expected today. Scott, who is working for Hebridean Pursuits Ltd  today called this morning to say the gondola was not running so his plans had been altered.  He was heading to the Ben with our climbing clients instead. More reports and photos of how the three of them got on today and yesterday later on.