Sunday 13 February 2011

Pea Souper Today in Glencoe!













It was hammering down in Oban this morning as I left for Glencoe. Never the best start to the working day. By the time I arrived in Glencoe it was falling as wet snow, by 9 am it was pelting us in an horizontal fashion. Being at 160m things felt pretty 'mingin' to say the least, so 1000m would be grim? I met Daniel who was joining me on a winter skills training day. He had booked through Footprints Glasgow, HPL are now their training providers. We decided to head as high as possible, as quickly as possible. So up lift completed we were now into proper snow fall and about as much visibility as the length of my arm, a Proper winters day! Daniel and I spent the day concentrating on all things winter walking skills based. The new 60cm of snow [see photo] on a firm base proved interesting in places, we reached the summit of Meall a Bhuiridh 1108m in pretty horrible conditions but Daniel was really chuffed to have done another Munro. A fun day in proper winter weather. The sliding up there tomorrow will be amazing, if you can get out, go out! Powder Monday....